Tuesday 5 June 2012

Productivity: Chrome extensions

Below I listed all the 8 extensions that I use in Chrome to enhance my productivity.

Before going into this I'll quickly answer 2 questions that some of you might have: What is Chrome? What is an extension?

Chrome is a browser, just like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Safari. I used to be a Firefox adept, but then I gave Chrome a try. It was faster, simpler and more intuitive. Since that try I'm hooked to Chrome. The other browsers certainly aren't bad, but at the moment most new browser features will be found first in Chrome because Google is the leader on the market when it comes to innovation. You can download it here for free: click

Within Chrome you can install extensions which can enhance your browsers functionality. Take a look at the Chrome web store to see if there are extensions you like.

Here are the extensions I use on a daily basis:

AdBlock
Do you also find all those advertisements on websites irritating? Get rid of them with AdBlock! 
Link to web store: click

FlashBlock
All those videos automatically loading on a website can take up quite some memory. You can stop them from loading using FlashBlock.
Link to web store: click 

Lazarus: Form Recovery
I think you'll recognize this scenario: You finished typing a pretty long form on a website and press the submit button only to see an error message on the next page. You go back and the form is entirely blank again, so you can start typing it all over again. Lazarus automatically saves everything you type in a form, so when an error occurs you just go back, push the Lazarus button and everything you typed will pop up again like it never happened. It's an extension you easily forget about...until disaster strikes. Better be save than sorry, so install this while you can!
Link to web store: click

FastestChrome
A handy extension with a lot of features, like automatic page loading and instant definitions. I'm not going to cover all the functions here, so follow the link and take a look.  
Link to web store: click

Minimalist for Everything (Beta)
Do you want to be in total control of how your gmail (and other webservices) looks like? Than this is a must! You can adjust almost everything with this extension.
Link to web store: click

Browser Clipboard
Very handy extension when you want to copy/paste more than one piece of text. Just drag it to the clipboard and done!
Link to web store: click

Strict Pomodoro
Awesome extension when used properly. It sets a timer for a period of time (default is 25 minutes). During that period you can't get on distracting websites because it blocks them. As soon as your period is done it gives a signal and you can have your break. It is based on the ideas behind the Pomodoro Technique, a time management method which I highly recommend.
Link to web store: click

Scratchpad
This is my favorite extension! It's the note-taking application where I keep my to do list, projects lists, record list and many other things. The reason why I find this so superb is because it functions offline as well as online. Next to that it integrates and synchronizes seamlessly with Google Docs, where I keep the rest of my documents. The problem with Google Docs is that you can't work on your documents, only see them, when you're offline. However with this extension that problem is something of the past. I can not recommend this highly enough to everyone. Simplicity at its best!  
Link to web store: click


That's it for now. Who knows which other extensions I'll use in the future. I'll try to keep you up to date on that. If you by any chance have another extension that you use to increase your productivity and wish to share, than certainly let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment